Pasta is one of my comfort foods. You can’t go wrong with pasta, it just hits the spot sometimes. In this recipe for a Spicy Marinara Pasta Dish I took it one step healthier and used a quinoa pasta. You can use any pasta you’d like of course. This recipe is simple and rather quick as long as you have all the ingredients. I think the spicy pasta sauce was the most difficult ingredient on the list however it turns out there there are a few varieties available. I used this one by Bertolli, but I hear that Mezzett makes a mean Spicy Marinara as well. Of course you can make home made, but who has the time?
This dish can be a meal in itself by simply adding a meat substitute like I did. Or leave it out and use it as a side dish. I chose the Trader Joe’s Meatless Ground Beef because that’s what was in my fridge. Be for warned, the dish is a spicy one, but the tomatoes and vinegar ass a little something extra to the taste. It’s truly delicious with the oil free sauteed onions and garlic tying the whole dish together.
- 8 ounces Pasta (I used Quinoa Gluten Free Pasta from Target)
- 1/3 cup Vegetable Broth
- 1/2 Yellow Onion
- 1 Clove Garlic
- 1 teaspoon Basil
- 2 cups Grape Tomatoes, halved
- 2 Tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 jar of Spicy Marinara Sauce (I used Bertolli)
- 1/2 package of Trader Joe's Beefless Ground Beef (or other crumbled meat substitute)
- 1. Bring a large pot of water to boil and cook the pasta according to the directions on the box
- 2. In a large skillet or sauce pan, heat the vegetable broth. Saute the onion and garlic for about 3 minutes
- 3. Stir in the basil, tomatoes, and balsamic. Cook for 5 minutes.
- 4. Stir in the jar of pasta sauce and bring to light simmer for at least 2 minutes.
- 5. Add meat substitute and heat.
- 6. Drain pasta and stir into sauce. Serve and enjoy!
- The meat substitute is optional. Leave it out and use this as a side dish with another protein choice or bring to your next potluck.