Greek Frittata – Easy Dinner Idea
I picked up a package of zucchini from the local produce market for some vegetarian chili but realized I was going to have some left over. I went in search of something different to use it in. This Greek Frittata was perfect for my quest, especially since I always have feta cheese on hand! I adapted the ingredients to make it as simple as possible – zucchini, seasoned canned tomatoes, feta and romano cheese, but you can easily season the tomatoes yourself with some fresh or dried herbs if you prefer.
The zucchini should be diced into 1/2 pieces and added to a frying pan of heated olive oil.
The tomatoes should be drained well before adding to the pan with the sauteed zucchini. They will then be left to cook until any remaining liquid has evaporated.
Once you add the eggs and they begin to set, you will add the most important ingredient of this dish, the cheese!
- 1 Zucchini
- 6 Eggs
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1 can of Seasoned Diced Tomatoes I used basil, garlic and oregano
- 1/2 cup or more of Feta Cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Romano Cheese or any other white cheese
- 1. Dice the zucchini into 1/2 inch pieces. Pour the tomatoes into a colander and let drain.
- 2. Preheat the broiler. Using a large, heavy frying pan that is oven safe, heat olive oil in pan. Add zucchini and saute for 3 minutes.
- 3. Add drained tomatoes and cook 3-5 more minutes or until any liquid has evaporated.
- 4. While vegetables are cooking, break eggs into a bowl and beat. Pour eggs into the pan with the tomatoes and zucchini and cook 2-3 minutes, until eggs are barely set. Salt and pepper to taste.
- 5. Lightly stir in half the cheese and cook for about 3 minutes. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and cook a few minutes with a lid on the pan.
- 6. When the frittata looks nearly done, remove lid and place under broiler until top is slightly browned (watch it closely so not to burn).
- 7. Remove from oven, let sit for a couple minutes and serve!