I had been wanting to try a cauliflower fried rice recipe for quite some time. I jumped on the cauliflower bandwagon when I tried this Crispy Orange Cauliflower Dish by Vegan Richa a few years ago. It is so damn good and to this day it is my favorite vegetarian and vegan recipe. Ever since then I have been fascinated how complex cauliflower can be and what a great meat substitute it is.
Disclaimer, I am not vegetarian but I do try to eat veggie with about 80% of my diet. This Cauliflower fried rice recipe is a great staple to have.
Making this cauliflower fried rice dish was pretty easy and I would definitely try it again. I used carrots, peas, cabbage, spring onions and green beans. I happened to have these on hand at the house but you can change it up how you want. Mushrooms would be a nice addition as would tofu or any other protein.
Cauliflower Fried "Rice"
- 1 small head cauliflower
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil divided
- 2 eggs
- 3 spring onions chopped
- 1 carrot diced
- 1 cup green beans
- 1 cup peas
- 1 cup long stem broccoli
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 inch piece ginger grated
- ¼ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- Hot sauce to taste
- In a food processor or with a grater, chop cauliflower into "rice" sized pieces. In a food processor, this will take about a minute of pulsing. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, lightly beat the eggs. In a wok or large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium heat. Scramble eggs until almost done (they should still be the slightest bit runny). Remove to a bowl and set aside.
- Wipe out the wok and heat the remaining tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Add spring onions and carrots and cook, stirring frequently, until onions and carrots onions are translucent and softened, about five minutes.
- Add the broccoli and cook, for about five minutes.
- Stir in cauliflower, green beans, peas, garlic and ginger.
- Turn heat to medium-high and add soy sauce, sesame oil and hot sauce.
- Cook, stirring constantly, for another 3 minutes.
- Add the scrambled eggs back in and cook for another minute.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately.