This Meatless Monday recipe is intended as a breakfast dish but who doesn’t love breakfast for dinner? I made it for my family the other night and it was a HIT. The sweet potatoes cook up perfectly and the egg is the icing on the cake (or potato). My husband added cheese and sour cream but I left those off, only using a little hot sauce. This is a fun nutritious alternative to home fries or regular potato hash. I even brought some to work the next day to share.
Prep 15 minutes /Cooking 20 minutes
SWEET POTATO AND KALE HASH WITH FRIED EGG
- 2 medium sweet potatoes peeled and cut into ¼” cubes
- Green onions finely sliced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 2 cups fresh Kale stems removed & leave chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- Black pepper
- 4 eggs
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Hot sauce optional
- 1. Heat 2-4 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add in the sweet potatoes, green onions, bell pepper, cumin, paprika, red pepper flakes, and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Cook mixture, stirring occasionally, until sweet potatoes are cooked through and tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- 2. Add kale into the skillet during the last 5 minutes of cooking. Taste the hash and season with additional salt or pepper if needed.
- 3. As the hash is finishing up cooking, heat more olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Once hot (adding a droplet of water to the pan should make it sizzle), crack open eggs and add them, one at a time, into the skillet. Season with salt and pepper and cover with a lid. This will help the tops of the whites to set before overcooking the bottom of the eggs. The eggs are done cooking once the whites are just set (the yolk will still be runny).
- 4. Divide the hash among four plates, topping each with one of sunny-side up eggs. Sprinkle the egg with some freshly ground pepper, drizzle with some sriracha (optional), and enjoy immediately!