Let’s take it easy this week and do a simple from scratch Mac and Cheese. No, really, it is super simple. This is a variation on “President Truman’s Meatless Tuesday” that my kids love. The recipe I have (I cut it out of a magazine) calls for it to be baked, but my version works perfectly as a last minute stove-top type dish. I usually pair it with a vegetarian chili (ok, not always, but usually) and it tastes delish spooned over top of a portion of chili.
I was busy copying tried and true recipes over to my handy dandy recipe book this morning and I realized how awesome it would be to share them with you! Maybe I’ll even remember to do it, I don’t know, more than once ;) I’m going to shoot for once a week, probably on Tuesdays just because today is Tuesday and if I add it and a reminder to my handy dandy calendar, it will bean me upside the head and remind me to do it. Thanks, Steve, for letting me use Handy Dandy. Come on, you’re a mom, you know who I am talking about. Anyways, Mac and Cheese!
Mac & Cheese
- 2 cups uncooked macaroni
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. minced onions I usually omit this, my kids don't like it. I think it's divine
- 4 Tbsp. all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt I usually omit this
- 3/4 tsp. dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 2 Cups milk
- 3 Cups shredded cheddar divided (I like to mix mild & sharp, and maybe toss in a little CoJack too)
- Boil 6 cups of water and cook macaroni until al dente. Drain.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter.
- Add onion and cook, stirring constantly until tender.
- Add flour, salt, dry mustard and paprika. Mix well.
- Add milk and stir for five minutes or until thickened. I suggest drizzling the milk in slowly while stirring.
- Add shredded cheese and stir until melted.
- Stir in macaroni and serve.
- For a little added protein add a can or two of drained tuna or chicken. Voila! Quick and easy mac & cheese without all the sodium and food coloring of that boxed stuff. Need an even quicker variety? Cook up your macaroni, drain and return to pot. Add about 1/4 c milk and 5 or 6 slices of American cheese (or to taste). Stir together and serve. If your cheese is too thick, add a little more milk. If it's too runny, add a little more cheese.