This week’s Meatless Monday is simple and yummy just the way we like it. Black beans are such an important staple in a vegetarian and vegan diet. Here we show you how to cook black beans in a crock pot.
They can be used in a variety of different recipes, burritos being one of my favorites. I also love the Mexican bake we posted about a few months ago on Punky Moms. To make them from scratch, you usually have to soak your beans overnight and tend to them on the stove top most of the day. Ain’t nobody got time for that!
Using the crockpot/slow cooker just makes sense.
This recipe is vegetarian but I am sure you can substitute the water for broth if you want to add more flavors. What is your fav black bean recipe? We are always looking for more around my house.
- 1 lb. Black Beans
- 6 Cups Water
- 1 Onion, diced
- 2-3 Garlic Cloves, sliced
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 TBSP Salt
- 1. Rinse and strain beans. Pick out any broken or wrinkled ones.
- 2. Put beans, onion, garlic, bay leaf, salt, in the crock pot. Add water.
- 3. Cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours or on LOW for 6-8 hours. If all water is absorbed before beans are finished cooking, add more.
- Optional: remove onion, garlic, bay leaf before serving.
- Use immediately or allow to cool and store in the refrigerator for 1 week or freeze for up to 3 months.