I wanted to throw this Coq Au Vin slowcooker recipe up on the site as it’s such a yummy easy one to do. Ideally to be made for more cooler temperatures, you probably wouldn’t be eating this in the middle of the summer. (location depending). This classic French chicken casserole has been given a bit of a makeover but still has a rich, deep flavour. The chicken, the garlic, the bottle of wine, the long, slow cooking time. Yummy perfection.
We had a great thread the other day in our Facebook group about what it looks like where you live, and we had everything from full on snow storms to days at the beach. Gotta love the diversity of the group and how far and wide our members are!
This Coq Au Vin crockpot recipe is a hearty dinnertime dish that gives you an excuse to buy an extra bottle of red wine. What’s that? You don’t need an excuse? Point taken.
I love all things French, and so making this easy dinner meal and serving it with some crusty bread and of course a glass of wine is a perfect night in my book. I searched for a Coq Au Vin recipe in the slow cooker because using the crockpot these days is so important to keep my brain intact with a small child around. There is a little bit of prep to do before putting it in the actual pot, but it is minimal. I made a few tweaks. The real key is letting it cook allllll day.
I would highly recommend using a bottle of French wine to add to the dish. Bordeaux is probably one of my favorite wines anyways so having the added bonus of drinking what is left over makes cooking worth it. Yes, the alcohol is cooked away so this is totally safe to feed to your kids. I am also positive they will love repeating Coq Au Vin over and over.
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 package white or baby bella mushrooms, quartered
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Season both sides of your chicken with salt and pepper. Lightly coat chicken all over with flour and put aside.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook until golden and just crisp, 2-3 minutes. Drain bacon on paper towels and set aside. Discard drippings and wipe out skillet.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in same pan over medium high heat. Add chicken and cook until lightly browned all over, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to plate and put aside.
- Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter in same pan. Add mushrooms and cook until edges begin to brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Add carrots, onions, garlic and salt and cook until vegetables just begin to soften.
- Transfer vegetables and broth to crock pot. Arrange chicken on top. Sprinkle bacon over chicken. Add wine and thyme. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours. Season with salt and pepper, then serve.
Be sure to pin this Coq Au Vin recipe for later!