I felt silly sharing this playlist at first. I mean, what does an old married lady know about ending relationships? Maybe I don’t have a recent experience, and maybe it’s a little weird that I keep an updated playlist about letting go, but I do. I listen to it when I need a good emotional cleanse. I think of all of the people I’ve needed to let go and why. Not just the lovers, I think about friends I’ve let go or have let me go too.
This playlist runs the full gambit of emotions, beginning with songs that remind me of the beginning feelings of being unsure that this other person and I are striving to build each other up or actively finding fault. By the time I hit ‘Maps’ and ‘Fear of Dying’ I’m contemplating the benefits of letting go. We then move into acceptance that it’s time to let go and maybe a little regret that I’m not more than I am. Lastly, we do some hopeful reminiscing.
Letting Go Songs
- Florence + The Machine – Ship To Wreck
- The Smiths – I Started Something I Couldn’t Finish – 2011 Remastered Version
- Sleater-Kinney – Heart Attack
- Yeah Yeah Yeahs – Maps
- Jack Off Jill – Fear Of Dying
- Fever Ray – If I Had A Heart
- Jeff Buckley – Hallelujah
- Johnny Cash – Hurt
- Low – Just Make It Stop
- Angus & Julia Stone – Big Jet Plane – Radio Edit
- Porcupine Tree – Remember Me Lover